Monday, October 30, 2006

Somerville, 02144

My old boss was from Somerville, Mass., and whenever he would wax poetically (and unapologetically) about his boyhood exploits there, he'd open things by saying, "Somerville . . . . Seven squares in search of a city."

Let's see if I can make my boss proud and recall all seven: Davis Square, once named one of the 15 hippest places to live in the US, which of course, makes it decidedly unhip; Union Square, where it's alleged the first U.S. flag was raised on Jan. 1, 1776; Teele Square, which I can't, for the life of me, recall a trivial factoid about; Ball Square, one-time site of the famous jazz club known as Willow; Magoun Square, named after a shipbuilding magnet . . . . And . . . .

Ah, five ain't bad. That's passing, right? Anyway, all this came to mind when I was listening to the new Pernice Brothers' album, Live A Little, which features a track named "Somerville." "I’m gonna take a lover," go the words, "Gonna take her back to Somerville/Don’t care if she’s pretty/As we leave Suck City." That last line is a reference to Nick Flynn's autobiography Another Bullshit Night In Suck City, which I'm told, is a favorite of fellow Masshole Joe Pernice.

Two new tracks from Pernice Brothers:

"Somerville"

"Microscopic View"